There is this thing going around on Facebook right now where people are making lists of 25 thigns about themselves. So I’m going to write it here, and it’ll get sucked into Facebook, plus all of you guys can read it. (That won’t make sense if you’re reading this on Facebook. Oh well.)
1) I have horrible nightmares. They are so bad that I don’t like going to sleep at night. The worst was one where I was driving down the highway and had to stop because there had been a massacre up the highway and there were 2 feet of blood running down the highway.
2) I obsess over collecting entire “sets” of things. All of the Beatles albums. All video games in a series. Things like that. All sets of things that I have collected…
3) I’m a huge fan of cover songs. In fact, I almost always prefer the cover version of a song to the original. Except covers of Beatles songs. I have yet to hear a cover of a Beatles song that is better than the original.
4) If I could “insert” myself into any movie it would be “That Thing You Do.” If I had to chose a second choice, it would be “Charade”. Or “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”.
5) When I’m booking a flight somewhere I take into consideration what types of airplanes I will be flying on, and will even go out of my way to fly on a more interesting airplane. For example, I’d fly through Chicago on my way to San Francisco as opposed to flying direct if I could fly on a 747 or a 777. I don’t think many other people would do that.
6) I’m improving my cooking by leaps and bounds, but in reality all I’m doing is doing my best to mock Alton Brown. But I think that if there is one chef to model yourself after if you are a beginning cook, he is it. Go try some of his recipes if you haven’t.
7) If you met me you would probably think that I’m perfectly healthy. But the truth is that it is a constant fight to keep up that appearance. I get tired more than normal people, my body gets worn down more than normal, I’m always worried about what my blood sugar is going to do next, and I’m always wondering what is going to happen “next”. It is stressful, but it is my life.
8) I think sweaters are the perfect form of clothing, and I would wear them year round if I could. In fact, I’ve been known to be a fan of the so called “summer sweater”.
9) I have a Macbook Pro laptop, but I wish that I didn’t. I haven’t told anyone, but I’m really kinda sick of using a Mac. People badmouth Windows, but I like it better. It still has several useful years, though, so I’m kinda stuck.
10) Sometimes I think it would be fun to move to the bay area. Then all the reasons why it wouldn’t be fun pop back into my head.
11) I drive a manual transmission and wouldn’t have it any other way.
12) My AIM screen name is almost 10 years old, and that makes me feel old.
13) I watch two shows pretty religiously: Countdown with Keith Olbermann and The Rachel Maddow show. I started off really liking Keith and not liking Rachel. Now I think that Rachel Maddow is amazing, and I almost can’t stand Keith.
14) I constantly am fighting with myself whether to have one or two spaces between sentences.
15) After not having snow days since high school, I know have them again, but it isn’t the same when you are an adult.
16) Sometimes I think that I did a really bad job having a “college experience”, but then I convince myself that not only is there not such thing as a classic “college experience”, but that college is overrated, and being an adult is way better.
17) I like animals, and I love my pets, but I swear there are about 5 times a day where I wish that they’d go away. But then they do something cute and I’m okay with them. Mostly.
18) I joke that I got all of the worst traits from all the members of my family. And while it is mostly a joke, there is an element of truth to it.
19) I worry about things a lot. If I’m expecting to hear from someone, and I don’t, I always assume that they are dead. Whenever my mom calls and I’m not expecting it, I assume that someone has died. Every time.
20) I don’t like writing with pens, but I’ve found that as you get older, pens are required more than pencils. I still keep a bunch of pencils around, though, just in case.
21) I have at one time or another in my life been proficient on the following instruments: violin, saxophone, bassoon, clarinet, and flute. I also know enough chords on the guitar that I could definitely be in a 60s garage band.
22) I usually don’t discover good TV shows until long after they initially come out. I feel bad because sometimes these shows have been canceled because of low viewership, but I don’t feel too bad because I get to watch them on DVD with no commercials.
23) I like math, but I don’t like doing math.
24) I had my ears pierced for 5 months in college. I don’t really know why I did it. I took the earrings out for a job interview, and haven’t missed them.
25) I used to sleep on a water bed and couldn’t imagine not having one. Now I couldn’t imagine having one.